Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Day 14: Comforting Skin (2011) 1h 49m


I completely forgot the name of this movie and it took me twenty minutes of random word combinations of things I remembered from this film before I found it via Google.  Try searching "movie" and "tattoo" in the same query and finding something that isn't The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Also, yes, I did do "-dragon" in my options and still came up with bullshit... 20 minute of bullshit.

Speaking of bullshit, Comforting Skin was a really cool concept, some really well executed CGI, and decent acting, but a fucking bummer when it came to the plot and story.  Our primary character is a girl named Koffie that is dealing with her own emotional instability and feelings of loneliness.  In an act of establishing her self identity she gets a bad tattoo on her shoulder blade.  Eventually the tattoo begins to move and flow across her skin and speak to her.  They establish a relationship of sorts but the tattoo becomes jealous and emotionally manipulative, eventually causing Koffie to break down.  You're also never quite sure if it's all in her head or the tattoo really is talking to her.

Truthfully, my assumption is that the tattoo represents a relationship with an unstable partner.  After first everything seems new, exciting, and fulfilling, but after time the darkness rears its ugly head things like jealousy, anger, and emotional blackmail exist if the partner is a shitty person.  This has become way too psychoanalytic for this movie, but it's just a thought.

I will say that my biggest gripe though was the fact that they had to have done no research on proper tattoo care.  I'm covered in ink, and I know that they tell you not to take a bath, go swimming, or submerge your tattoo for at least 2-3 weeks.  A few days after she got her tattoo she's lying in the bath.  I don't care if your bullshit flash tattoo came to life, that shit would be wrecked!  Also stop wearing dresses with straps that rub directly over the tattoo because you want people to see it!

I give Comforting Skin 1 Cherry Creek hobo clown flash tattoo out of 5:

No comments:

Post a Comment