Thursday, December 21, 2017

13 Days of Christmas Day 9: Treevenge (2008) 16m

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to track down a copy of Treevenge.  All I knew is that it was a short film about Christmas trees finally getting their payback.  It made me think of that Christmas episode of Metalocalypse where they talk bout how brutal a Christmas tree really is.  This thing:


Treevenge is a short film out of Canada where Christmas trees finally get sick of of the genocide of their race and get revenge on humanity.  We go from the harvesting of the trees straight up to the holiday season and the inevitable revolution against their captors.  There's not much more than that.

With an idea like Treevenge, this movie knew what it was going for and ran for the goal line.  The humans are all overacted and vulgar (in more than just language), as opposed to the trees that all have well written and fearful conversations.  That's a sentence I never thought I would ever write.  There are some really great kills including a tree stump stomping a baby and then dragging it away.  I couldn't even stay mad at the tree that killed the family cat because it then threw the fakest stuffed cat at the family and I laughed.

I tracked down a copy of this on YouTube if you want to watch it.  There are some bullshit ones that tell you to visit their site to watch it.  Just look for the 16 minute version.  It's worth at least one watch, although I might make it a yearly thing just to remind myself that I could make a short film too... and then probably not do it.  But the point is that I could if I wanted to!

I give Treevenge 3.5 ripped Santas out of 5:

No comments:

Post a Comment