Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Day 25: Final Girl (2015) 1h 30m


I get the feeling that someone watched A Clockwork Orange, decided they wanted to make some bastardized update of it, and then have Alex and his droogs lose and die while out for a bit of the ol' ultraviolence.  I wish I could kick them in the yarbles for that...


In truth, Final Girl was a pretty okay film.  It wasn't a horror movie at all though, definitely more along the thriller lines with some slight horror elements.  Our primary characters are Wes Bentley (American Beauty/the Hunger Games) and Abigail Breslin.  Abigail you may remember as Little Rock from the 2009 film Zombieland, or as the little girl with glasses that dances to "Super Freak" in Little Miss Sunshine.  After finding that tidbit out I can no longer pull parts of this film up in my mind without thinking about that.

Apparently Abigail's parents were killed and she ended up in Wes' care.  Wes then trains her to be some sort of weird spy without the actual spying but all of the cool subterfuge and killing abilities.  He does so because he says that someone killed his wife and child and I think he was trying to find them.  I'm not sure, it really had nothing to do with the plot aside from bringing them together and then was abandoned.

Her first real solo mission is to kill this group of four guys that have been taking girls out into the woods and "hunting" them.  A majority of these scenes seemed like something that would be in a The Killers video.  It's her with blond hair and a red dress in the dark woods while four guys in tuxedos try to find her.  The fact that she dosed three of the guys with DMT and they're having crazy hallucinations helps this idea too.  You could just see Brandon Flowers suddenly popping up and singing with that old timey villain mustache he has sometimes.  Just a girl trying to kill guys in tuxedos and then suddenly "SOMEBODY TOLD ME! THAT YOU HAD A BOYFRIEND!..."  The Killers are a pretty good band.  Much better than this film was.

I know that above I described this film as "pretty okay," and using that as a descriptor typically means that it was shit and I don't want to just don't want to say it.  This film had moxie though.  While it brought together a lot of things I like, it was middle of the road for me.  This isn't to say that if, in conversation, the discussion of films comes up that I might not recommend it, but it's a movie, I saw it, and it was it.

I give Final Girl 2 The Killers albums out of 5:

No comments:

Post a Comment